28 September 2014

Mini Mosaic Finish

A little while ago I showed you the beginning of a mini mosaic quilt I did while at the Festival of Quilts. I finished it a month or so ago, but I forgot to blog about it, so here it is!


I sewed it all together, backed it with some plain calico and added some very simple (and a bit wonky!) quilting, and bound it with red cotton for use as a mug rug.

It was a pretty simple process and I love how sharp it made all the points turn out.

21 September 2014

Bolt End Club September 2014


It's been a little while since I posted here. Oops! Anyway here's this months Bolt End Club.

From left to right:
Marbles by Moda
Henley Flowers Dottie by Makower
Simply Style by Vanessa Christenson for Moda
Unknown
Unknown

Very pretty aren't they? Such lovely autumnal colours.

Previous Bolt End Clubs:
March 2014
May 2014

17 August 2014

Festival of Quilts: Block Printing Fabric Design

The final workshop I attended at the Festival of Quilts was Block Printing: Fabric Design by Julia Philips. In it we a had a nice play with some stamps and fabric paint, creating three stamped fabrics.



Previously:
Festival of Quilts: The Haul
Festival of Quilts: Mini Mosaic
Festival of Quilts: Wandering Vines

15 August 2014

Festival of Quilts: Wandering Vines

The second workshop I attended was called Wandering Vines and was a machine embroidery workshop. The workshop was taught by Catherine Nicholls. This was about using the buttonhole stitch (or blanket stitch) to embellish applique and free motion embroidery to quilt and further decorate the piece.


I had a lot of fun and managed to "finish" the piece in the workshop. I think I will bind it and have it as a small wall hanging!

Previously:
Festival of Quilts: The Haul
Festival of Quilts: Mini Mosaic

13 August 2014

Festival of Quilts: Mini Mosaic

The first workshop I did at the Festival of Quilts was Mini Mosaic quilt blocks. This workshop was taught by Paula Doyle and in it she showed us how to make tiny 1.5" half-square triangles and other such blocks which would be too difficult to make as you would normally.


We started with some plain 1.5" squares and some bigger rectangles which had been pieced from 1.5" strips. Then square pieces of freezer paper were attached to the bigger pieces by gently ironing them on. These were used as templates to cut the rectangles in to 1.5" squares.


We then placed a sheet of iron on interfacing over a grid and positioned all the squares on top of the interfacing and they were gently ironed down.This was as far as we got in the workshop. Now I have to press them properly to make sure they stick to the interfacing and machine sew each strip together.

I'll let you know what it looks like once it's all sewn together!

Previously:
Festival of Quilts: The Haul